In 2023, ChargeUp Europe, the voice of the EV charging infrastructure industry, will have EVBox fulfilling the presidency of the association. The organization has appointed Remco Samuels, CEO of EVBox, to fulfill the 2023 presidency role. This appointment comes at a time when Europe must deliver on its climate ambition and electric vehicles are in high demand throughout Europe.
AMSTERDAM, January 10, 2023 — Remco Samuels, CEO of EVBox, a leading EV charging solutions provider, has been appointed as the 2023 president of ChargeUp Europe, the voice of the electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure industry in Europe. The association was founded in 2020 by EVBox, Allego, and ChargePoint to work towards an expeditious and ambitious rollout of EV charging infrastructure throughout Europe.
2023 will mark the 30th anniversary of the EU single market. For the charging infrastructure sector however, a harmonized and integrated market has yet to fully emerge across Europe — a critical factor to catalyze the rollout of charging infrastructure as the demand for more accessible EV charging increases. In 2023, ChargeUp Europe will work to accelerate the swift and seamless rollout of EV charging infrastructure throughout Europe, to secure market and governance rules that support openness and competition, and to tackle existing trade and technical barriers.
- Published its first State of the Industry Report
- Organized a first meeting between the board and European Commission Executive Vice President Frans Timmermans
- Provided input to over 20 policy debates, including standards,data spaces, and the contribution of smart charging to manage the energy crisis
- Strengthened its thought leadership on issues such as tenders, payment technologies, and the role of e-mobility to energy management in buildings.
- The successful implementation of a future-proof & user-centric AFIR, the sector’s guiding policy framework
- Fair and effective access to vehicle data, subject to the EV driver’s consent, to create a better driving experience
- A response to the energy crisis that incentivizes investments in grid capacity, demand-side response, and the continued uptake of electric cars
EVBox’s mission has always been to power a sustainable future by accelerating the rollout of EV charging infrastructure. I am grateful for the opportunity to lead ChargeUp Europe this year and to help optimize the electric mobility ecosystem. One topic I hope we can advance in is the alignment of regulations for charging stations and infrastructure across Europe. By working together with industry players, policy makers, and other stakeholders, we can uphold the EU’s vision of zero emissions by 2050.Remco Samuels (CEO of EVBox)
2023 will be a big year for EV charging infrastructure in Europe. The EU’s Commission commitment to e-mobility will move from a phase of target-setting to a phase of actual implementation and delivery that can turbocharge the rollout of charging infrastructure throughout Europe. We are excited to have Remco on board as the 2023 president to help guide our sector through successful implementation of the EU policy framework.Lucie Mattera (Secretary General of ChargeUp Europe)
ChargeUp Europe is the industry association for the electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure sector. The association works to accelerate the switch to zero emission mobility and ensure that EV drivers can enjoy a seamless charging experience with access to high quality, readily available charging infrastructure across Europe. As of today, member companies are active in all 27 EU Member States, the UK and EFTA, with over 500,000 charging points in the EU.