The next generation of commercial charger, designed specifically for the North American EV drivers, arrived at CES in January 2018.
New York and Amsterdam, January 9th, 2018 – EVBox, the leading global manufacturer of electric vehicle charging stations and charging management software, expands its US activities with the unveiling of its next generation (EVBox Iqon) electric vehicle charging station at CES 2018 in Las Vegas (NV).
In order to design a new revolutionary charging station, EVBox embarked on an extensive research trip to the heart of the US electric vehicle market – California. Multiple different stakeholders (including EV drivers, parking valets, facility managers and installers) were brought on to help design and create the ideal US electric vehicle charging station.
Electric vehicle charging habits, requirements and expectations vary strongly between the US and Europe. Some of the most interesting findings are:
- Design needs to be robust and durable, allowing it to blend in to its environment. However, size is not as big of a concern as it is in Europe. In fact, larger stations are appreciated because visibility is key in the US (for commercial purposes).
- Electric Vehicle charging is seen as a business opportunity in the US. Most of the charging stations are placed by private companies (for example at public parking garages or shopping malls).
- Cost is the main reason in the US to drive electric, along with being an early (tech) adopter and having a better driving experience. This is contrary to Europe where the environment (together with cost) is the primary reason.
With the new EVBox Iqon charger, EVBox aims to disrupt the workplace and commercial charging market in the US. With its modern yet simple design, this new charging station easily blends into the environment, while boasting a number of state-of-the-art features:
- A unique modular design that allows for easy installation and scalability
- Highly durable build, with very low maintenance requirements
- Highly customizable, allowing station owners to personalize their own branding
- Smart cable management system for ease of use
- Each station can charge up to four vehicles at the same time (7.4 kW)
- Intuitive, responsive touchscreen display with NFC payment
Our goal was to create an electric vehicle charging station that makes the charging experience as convenient and easy as possible for North American EV drivers. The EVBox Iqon business charger is part of a new generation of smart EV charging solutions, and we believe it will help consumers and businesses accelerate their adoption of electric mobility. Earlier, we launched our new home charging station, Elvi, which is now a CES Innovation Award Honoree. This recognition confirms that we are on the right path, delivering solutions that meet and exceed our customers’ expectations.Kristof Vereenooghe, CEO of EVBox